There was a long discussion the otherday about what, exactly, one calls a crochet-er. Which doesnt sound right. Crocheteer? Crochet-er ?
I voted for hooker, which was surprisingly unpopular with the masses. Can’t imagine why.
As you may gather from this, I decided that I wasnt going to mess my wrists up with NaNoWriMo this year. Heck no. Instead I have resumed crochet. Because who needs carpal tunnels anyway?
I started small, in october, with a few balls of yarn from my mum’s old stash, and a packet of hooks from amazon, plus my old metal ones. Then I visited strontian with the parental units, and found http://theclippersheep.com .
Yarn was purchased. recycled sari silk to be precise. And a wooden hook 7mm.
And then I got Stitch and bitch crochet from amazon which led me further into misadventure. Then hobbicraft was having a three-for-the-price-of-two sale on yarn.
So, anyway, I have a laundry basket full of acrylic, cotton, silk and wool, and a mission!
I volunteered to make topical christmas hats for my team of 5 at work. And also anyone else who I can inflict crochery on. ( siblings, neices, nephews , passers by )
I discovered that when I follow a pattern I get mutated-yarn boggles. Or hats that can be worn as sweaters
On the other hand, .if I sit and noodle, it turns out okay. I’ve learned specific stitches and techniques from youtube, ravelry, etc. But on the whole, I’m making it up as I go along. And infecting others.
( Sis B is now into headbands and flowers in a BIG way . If anyone wondered what they were getting for xmas )
I, on the other hand have constructed :-
- Purple beanie n scarf in shell & Half double (usa)
- Two black/blue beanies. One in appropriate size for 9-12 in single crochet stripes. And then a much bigger one in back post crochet stripes when realising that Nephew B has a very large head.
- A green beanie in what might be some sort of popcorny stitch, which is made of 5 triples in the same stitch.
- A hat which slightly resembles a jellyfish, in mohair & pink fuzz
- A fuzzy lamb- like thing. With ears.
- A santa hat, ripped open to show a crochet brain, complete with small zombie nomming on the grey matter, itself with its own santa hat.
- Grey, black and white cloche made from unbelievably thick acrylic wool ( super toasty )
- Dalek! with eye stalk, and blue glowing light! ( much tv related research! )