It is not a surprise that I like castles. Turrets, dungeons, little windows for boiling oil, portcullises
( or is it portculli ?) what’s not to like?
It turns out that the answer is spiral staircases.
That whole wedge shaped step, getting narrower and narrower as one gets higher, is less than practical. Going up is one thing, coming down requires more hanging onto walls than previously anticipated. I’m trying to imagine doing that in a huge skirt, carrying things, and can only assume that I would have been investigating remedies for broken limbs on a regular basis.
I checked 3-4 castles last week just to be sure, and no. Just no.
When I build my castle, the round turrety bits will in fact house lifts.
So far my castle requirements are :
- Small offshore rocky island, with causeway or bridge.
- Fibre optic internet connection
- Big doors with those metal studs in
- Central courtyard
- Two turrets, each with lift ( one for people, one for furniture & books ) must have cone shaped roof.
- Vaulted kitchens
- Huge fireplaces
- Secret passages in the walls.
- Vast library